Sunday, October 19, 2008

Sydney and Louisbourg, Nova Scotia

How fun to visit people you know that live in other countries!

We did not tour Sydney itself. My co-worker, Bibiana, is a missionary and Regional Coordinator over South America and the Caribbean is living in Louisbourg for the next year or so. Louisbourg is approximately 30 minutes out of Sydney and her husband, Alexander's, home town. Bibiana picked us up so we could spend the day with her and see some sights. She along with Alexander, and her sons greeted us with a hearty welcome. They are living in the home which belonged to Alexander's grandparents. He is keeping very busy remodeling the homestead and Bibiana telecommutes with those on the field keeping in touch and traveling back and forth as needed.


This light house is approximately three miles from their home.

Actually this old train station is too.
This station is not in operation anymore but it has a lot of history and original equipment for the 1900s.

Louisbourg is such a beautiful place - this is just around the bend from their home.
Lobster traps are what you are looking at.
The winters are very cold here - all snow and ice. We were there at the perfect time!

Bibiana dropped us off at Fortress at Louisbourg ( a quick drive from their home).
Larry and I took a quick "on our own" tour due to time.
Tour book: "The first French colonist landed at Louisbourg in 1713. As they competed with the British for control of North America, strategic placement became increasingly important. Fighting was nearly constant thought out the 17th century, and finally, in 1713, the Treaty of Utrecht was signed, and much of the territory, including Newfoundland, and what are now the Maritime Provinces, was ceded to English Control. The French retained Cape Breton, and their fortress at Louisbourg commanded the entrance to the St. Lawrence River."

As you can tell, there is a lot of history and beautiful scenery in Louisbourg. Thank you Bibiana, Alexander, and boys for the wonder time!

Reenactment of a public trial

~ A little about the ship ~
We boarded on a Saturday and on Monday I said, look the rugs in the elevators say Monday.
Well, each day they changed the carpet squares.
(How bright I am to have caught it on Monday!)
Wednesday is the day we were in Sydney. How smart to keep us on track - what a job it is to change these daily!

We watched ice sculpturing on board - what talent and he had to work fast!

Too cute - each evening our towels were made into different animals. As you can see, this is a dog. Others were crabs, lobsters, and one night we didn't have one on the bed. I was a bit disappointed because I got a kick out of seeing them. Then I looked at the light fixture and there it was, a monkey hanging on a hanger from the light fixture!

Hopefully you are still with us, I try to update on the week-ends.
Next Stop Halifax, Nova Scotia

5 comments:

gma said...

Wade - thanks for talking us into our new camera and helping us pick it out - I think the pics look great and not because we took them.

ALittlePeaceAndQuiet said...

Hey...I'm here to promote technology. Glad I can help.

Six in our Crew said...

Beautiful pictures! We are studying the French and Indian War right now so this would have been fascinating for us to see. We'll have to look up Louisbourg and study a little deeper! Thanks!

Emily Campbell said...

Love all the history and the pics of course!

Basnight said...

we would have loved to see a picture of the monkey! thanks for sharing your trip with us...