Saturday, October 11, 2008

The Ultimate Anne of Green Gables Expeirence

The tour guide writes about this tour, "View rolling farmlands, stunning seascapes, tiny villages and bustling harbors along the Blue Heron Drive as you get ready to meet Anne of Green Gables and authentic descendants of Lucy Maud Montgomery. The first stop is Silver Bush and the Anne of Green Gables Museum,where you'll enjoy raspberry cordial with Anne, and then embark on the horse and carriage ride along Lake of Shinning Waters. Next, it's off to Cavendish to Prince - the old farm site that inspired Montgomery's first novel, Anne of Green Gables, published in 1908. Highlight some of the finest attractions on Prince Edward Island's breathtaking North Shore, this is the ultimate "Anne" experience"

As we are heading out to to sites we passed the home where Lucy was born.


The homestead is still owned by L.M. Montgomery's descendants. This is where I bought Melissa and Amy's cook book - and had it signed. We toured this home where the furniture, etc. is the same now as it was then.

Guide book: "Cavendish, at the western edge of PEI National Park, is the island's most popular destination. First stop is Lucy Maud Cavendish Home, where the author grew up. Her mother died suddenly (and quiet young), so she was sent to Cavendish to be reared by her grandparents. The house is gone, but the haunting foundation and white picket fence entice you into a museum dedicated to her life."

Larry took this pic while on the carriage ride ~ would you love to live here!

As the guide book says,
"The green and white farmhouse was owned by Lucy Maud's
cousins and served as the model for the fictional title home.


Me being a non-reader, watched the movie of Anne of Green Gables.
If I remember right I think there is a scene in the move with Anne running through the gate . . .

. . . and the mention of Mr. Stead, the postman.

In the home there was a room for storing cookware.

For baking.

And for the dishes!

On to the next stop - to see the dunes!
It was very windy so that is as far as we went!


Harvesting red potatoes - the main crop for PEI.

This picture was taken from our ship.
As you can see the PEI's dirt is very red. They sell T-Shirts that have been died just using the dirt.

Guide book: "The island's rich red earth has long been know to stain clothing.
Instead of trying to get it out, why not put it in?" Thus founded in 1997 P.E.I. Dirt Shirt

We thoroughly enjoyed PEI and wouldn't mind going back ~ maybe by motorcycle?!

10 comments:

gma said...

Hi Mary and Jim - finally PEI is on the blog - enjoy and thanks for vacationing with us!

Mary and Jim said...

Isn't it lovely up there? I would love to go back with Jim and the rest of our family. Anne especially wants to visit!

gma said...

Mary,that would be a real treat if all of you could go! It is beautiful there.

Mary and Jim said...

Helen- Jim is ready to buy the bike- how about next summer seeing PEI on bikes?

Emily Campbell said...

I would love to live there! Well at least vaca there! The pics where worth waiting for!

gma said...

Mary - sounds good - might have to be two years to save up again! Larry is taking motor cycle classes and looking into buying a bike - We used to ride a Harley years ago!

Basnight said...

I am finally here...Using your high speed internet! Love the pictures. I am reading a book right now by a home school mom who lives on PEI. I can't imagine having any problems living in such a beautiful place!

Six in our Crew said...

Great pictures! I love the dishes! Maybe Wade and I will meet with their in our trailer. Motorcycles don't appeal to me!

Six in our Crew said...

there not their. I really do know my phonograms!

gma said...

Sounds great - better than the DC trip I think! We have to save out pennies.